Rules and Guidelines for Attendance
Last revised 08-06-2014
1.0 - [Attendance]
1.1 - Terms of Service: As a requirement for attending Fandemonium you (or if you are under the legal age of 18 your parent(s) and/or legal guardian(s)), accept and agree to:
• Indemnify, defend, hold harmless, waive and release from all liability Fandemonium, its owners, organizers, volunteers, event runners, sponsors, and partners from all claims of damages, losses, accidents, and injuries, excluding such incidents arising out of gross negligence.
• Grant Fandemonium the express permission and authority to administer first aid, and/or call an ambulance and/or medical professional to assist you in the instance of a medical emergency as determined by a Fandemonium board member or duly appointed member of Fandemonium staff.
• Acknowledge the possibility of being photographed and/or filmed, and agree to grant permission for the resulting images and/or footage to be used for non-commercial as well as commercial use in marketing and advertising materials for and by Fandemonium.
• Allow Fandemonium to use your provided e-mail address to send you Fandemonium & Idaho Fan Community related promotional information. You may unsubscribe from these mailings at any time you wish to stop receiving them. Your e-mail address will only be used for the stated purpose and it will never be shared, sold, or published by Fandemonium.
• Acknowledges that impersonating Fandemonium owners, organizers, volunteers, event runners, sponsors, and partners and/or hindering or disrupting the same in the course of their duties may result in your immediate expulsion from the event without refund and may include a permanent banning from all future Fandemonium events.
1.2 - Badges: Badges must be worn visibly on the front of your upper torso between neck and waist at all times while at our event. This is to help ensure the safety and well being of all attendees, and to ensure all those in attendance are allowed at our event.
• If your badge is not in the proper location you will be asked by a member of staff to correct it. Refusal to do so may result in your immediate removal from the event.
• If you have no badge or your badge is not visible, you will be asked to purchase one or leave the convention area.
• If you lose your badge, check at Registration from 10am-6pm, or in mini-Con Ops after 6pm.
• If you find a badge please return it to Registration immediately or to mini-Con Ops after 6pm.
• You will be charged a $5.00 fee for replacing a lost badge. Those caught sharing a badge between multiple people or counterfeiting badges by means of mechanical reproduction or fraud will be removed from Fandemonium and possibly banned from future Fandemonium events.
1.3 - Weapons & Props: For your safety and in accordance with the laws and policies of the City of Boise, please be aware that while prop weapons may be freely displayed and worn inside of the Grove Hotel and CenturyLink Arena, outside of the Grove Hotel and CenturyLink Arena prop weapons may be mistaken as real by the Boise Police Department and if so will be responded to as such. Please do not wear or wield your prop weapons outside of the Grove Hotel and CenturyLink Arena. Store them in your vehicle, hotel room, or use the courtesy prop weapons check located inside of the Attendee Storage area on the 2nd floor of the event if you have to go off-site.
• Prohibited items: We do not allow, under any circumstance, solid metal prop items or weapons (whether live-edged or intended as a prop weapon), real guns (whether or not they are functional), or real projectile weapons (whether or not they are functional). This policy includes individuals who possess a weapons permit or a concealed weapons permit. Never threaten anyone with a weapon whether real or fake. Do not brandish your props in a threatening manner.
• Allowed Prop Weapons:
• [Gun Props] You may use the following items: clearly marked toy guns, empty squirt guns, Nerf Dart Guns (as long as they do not contain ammunition), Air Soft Guns (as long as they do not contain ammunition), batteries or CO2 cartridges.
• [Bow & Arrow/Crossbow Props] These are permitted as long as they are props in fact, and are not capable of launching arrows/bolts at other person(s), or if they have no arrows/bolts. Sword/Knife/Ninja Weapons/etc. are allowed as long as they are props made of the approved materials listed above.
• [All Prop Weapons] All props are subject to prior approval by Fandemonium security staff. If prop weapons are not approved, they need to be immediately removed from the hotel or event premises.
• Peace bonding: We may require peace bonding of costume prop weapons if their appearance is too realistic, or if we determine it to be a hazard to others. This will be done on a case-by-case basis, and final judgment on whether or not a prop item is to be peace bonded will be done by Fandemonium’s security or operating board. Peace bonding will be done using non-adhesive flaggers tape, which is a safe, non-corrosive, and non-damaging bright orange plastic. Tampering with, or removing the peace binding from your prop weapon once it is placed is grounds for removal from the event without refund.
• No arguments, please: We are trying to keep this event fun and friendly for over a thousand people. While we appreciate all the effort you expend creating your prop and your rights as a citizen, if we feel an item may pose a risk to yourself or those around you, we have a responsibility to err on the side of the safety of our attendees. Refusal to remove a disallowed prop/weapon from the premises may result in your ejection from the event without refund.
1.4 - Minors: All minors under the age of 18 must have permission from a parent or legal guardian to attend Fandemonium.
• Children under the age of 10 must be accompanied at all times by an attending adult.
• Children under the age of 13 must have a responsible adult in attendance.
If we find an unaccompanied minor child under the age of 10, we will first attempt to locate the child’s Parent(s) or Legal Guardian(s). If we are unable to do so we are required by law to contact the police department and report them as a lost child.
1.5 - Nudity: Absolutely no nudity. Pushing the limits is fine, but remember that this is an all ages event and that the State of Idaho has strict anti-nudity laws. You are required to wear articles of clothing that are equivalent to at least a 2 piece bathing suit (for those of the female physical gender), or a single piece bathing suit (for those of the male physical gender). If you are over 18, and you feel the need to take your costuming experience further, save it for our Cosplay After Dark event.
1.6 - Compliance (e.g., Resistance is Futile): If the staff of Fandemonium or the Grove Hotel and CenturyLink Arena asks you to quiet down, stop a particular behavior, or to leave an area, please do so. If not, you will be asked to leave the event.
1.7 - Unacceptable Behavior: There are certain types of actions that will not be tolerated at Fandemonium. Any such behavior will result in the immediate confiscation of your badge without refund, ejection from the event, and being barred from all future Fandemonium events. The proper authorities will also be contacted to deal with the situation. Disallowed behaviors include, but are not limited to:
• Willful Destruction of Property
1.8 - Borderline Unacceptable Behavior: Fandemonium has a two strike policy for certain types of behavior. If your badge is flagged for any violation, or an incident report is filed, be aware that any further violation may result in your being ejected from the event without refund. Disallowed behaviors include, but are not limited to:
• Physical and/or Verbal harassment.
• Photos or Videos taken in a harassing manner (e.g., without permission from the model, etc.)
• Unwanted Physical Contact
• Discrimination based on a person's; age, race, color, creed, political affiliation, nationality, religion (or lack thereof), disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, body type, costume, cosplay, or fandom.
• Use of threatening or abusive language toward other attendees or staff.
• Abuse of Fandemonium equipment.
• Disruptive or obnoxious behavior.
• Refusal to follow the requests of Fandemonium and/or Grove Hotel and CenturyLink Arena Staff.
1.9 - Purchases and Props: You are responsible for all items you bring into, purchase at, or come into ownership of while in attendance at Fandemonium. We do have storage space available for those items, at a reasonable fee. If you are here without a car or hotel room please keep that in mind.
1.10 - Costume Courtesy: Be respectful of others. You will see many lovely and interesting people in costume. Please respect them and ask permission before touching costumes or taking pictures.
1.11 - Boundaries: Always ask permission before touching, hugging or glomping (tackle hug) someone. We know Fandemonium tends to be an extremely friendly and outgoing environment, but not everyone is comfortable with physical contact (and some costumes are quite fragile). Always ask first.
1.12 - Bathroom Facilities: In accordance with Idaho State law please utilize only the bathroom facilities that match the gender listed on your state issued Drivers License or Photo ID. The Grove Hotel provides three multiple occupant Men's & Women's restrooms, and one single occupant Gender-Neutral restroom on the 3rd floor for your convenience.
1.13 - Staff Courtesy: Please treat the Fandemonium and the Grove Hotel and CenturyLink Arena staff with respect. These folks are working very hard to put on this event for you so that you can have a great time.
1.14 - Photography & Audio/Video Recording: Unless otherwise posted, photography & audio/video recording is allowed at all events during the convention, excluding adult (18+) events. Please note however that some panels or events may restrict or prohibit the use of photography, flash photography, and/or audio/video recording, and that you are required to abide by said policies. Any restrictions of these types will be posted outside of the event room.
1.15 - Adult (18+) Oriented Events: To gain access to, attend, or participate in adult (18+) age restricted events you are required by Idaho State Law to present a legally accepted form of valid, non-expired, un-altered identification; these include and are limited to: State Issued Photo ID, State Issued Drivers License, State Issued Temporary ID, Military ID, Passport. No other forms of ID will be accepted in accordance with Idaho State Law. Finally you must sign a waiver of offense and annoyance to be in compliance with the Ada County & Idaho State anti-nudity & obscenity laws.
1.16 - Alcohol is NOT permitted on the Fandemonium event floors 2 & 3. If you are found to be in possession of alcohol on the Fandemonium Event floor you will be asked to leave the floor and place it in your hotel room, if you do not have a hotel room you will asked to remove it from the event floors. You are welcome to return to the event floors when you are no longer in possession of alcohol. Repeated offenses of possession of alcohol on the Fandemonium Event Floors 2 & 3 will result in your removal from the event without refund.
2.0 - [Health]
2.1 - Sleep, Food, Shower (The 6-2-1 Rule): In order to get the optimal enjoyment out of your Fandemonium experience, make sure you get at least 6 hours of sleep, 2 full meals and 1 shower with soap every day (yes we did say every day!) At least one of those meals should be something other than Ramen or Cup-Noodle (you know, something with protein in it) These are not polite suggestions: these are standards that everyone will be held to.
2.2 - Hydration: Fandemonium takes place during the summer in Idaho, where temperatures can reach 110f during the day. We also play host to a number of events which require a lot of physical exertion. Also, for those visiting from lower elevations, please remember that Idaho is 2,400 feet above sea level: you may become dehydrated more quickly. Dehydration will make you feel sluggish and tired, and may cause headaches and nausea. Staying hydrated is one of the keys to having a fun and enjoyable time. Visit the water stations located throughout the event center often, and remember energy drinks & soda don't count, as they contain caffeine, sodium and sugar all of which dehydrate you.
2.3 - Medications & Sanitary Products: Please make sure to keep any necessary medications & sanitary products that you may require with you during the event.
2.4 - Alcohol: Alcohol is not available at Fandemonium events, and the Grove Hotel and CenturyLink Arena do not permit outside alcohol to be brought on the premises. If you drink before coming to Fandemonium, or while on the Grove Hotel and CenturyLink Arena premises, please do so responsibly and have a designated driver. It is prohibited by U.S. law for alcohol to be consumed by anyone under the age of 21 and it is illegal to provide access to alcohol to anyone under 21. Fandemonium event rooms and the 2nd and 3rd floors are considered alcohol-free zones during our event.
2.5 - Open Containers: Open containers holding any sort of beverage are prohibited in Fandemonium event rooms between the hours of 9 pm and 6 am. Water and cups will be provided at hydration stations on the 2nd and 3rd floors as needed.
2.6 - Illegal & Illicit Substances: These are prohibited at Fandemonium and on the Grove Hotel and CenturyLink Arena property.
2.7 - Smoking: Smoking is not permitted inside of the building. There are ashtrays outside on the 4th floor Terrace, and across the driveway of the main entrance to the Grove Hotel and CenturyLink Arena, provided for your convenience. E-cigarettes also known as 'Vaping' are also not permitted within the Grove Hotel and CenturyLink Arena. Boise City ordinance requires all smokers to maintain a distance of at least 20ft from the entrance when smoking. Boise City ordinance also prohibits all smoking on public sidewalks, or indoors. Vaping is allowed on public sidewalks, and indoors, unless otherwise specified. It is unlawful for anyone under the age of 18 to smoke in Idaho.
2.8 - Sleeping: Per hotel policy, and for the safety of yourself and others, sleeping in any Fandemonium event space during the event is prohibited.
2.9 - Shoes: To help prevent the spread of foot diseases, you are required to wear shoes while inside any Fandemonium event room, and on the event floors. If you are cosplaying a character who does not wear shoes, please consider utilizing transparent shoes, which may be available from your local retailer, or online.
3.0 - [Convention Center/Hotel]
3.1 - Event Center Structural Integrity: Please do not burn, flood, jackhammer, tunnel through, paint, sketch on, eat, tamper with, or otherwise damage or deface the Grove Hotel and CenturyLink Arena in any way. We like them and they like us, and we would like to keep it that way.
3.2 - Signage: Signs and fliers should not be hung on event center walls, furniture, doors, or windows. There will be a message/flyer area available for such materials.
3.3 - Adhesives: Duct tape is forbidden on all Grove Hotel and CenturyLink Arena surfaces, as are nails, screws, and tacks. The only types of adhesives permitted are blue painters tape on walls & Gaffers tape on the floors. You may still use Duct tape on your own costumes, props, and equipment.
3.4 - Loitering: Attendees are asked not to block doorways or hallways for any length of time, to ensure the safety of themselves, and other guests and attendees at the event.
3.5 - Motorized Transport: The only acceptable motorized transports permitted within the convention center are electric wheel chairs and electric power chairs to assist the handicap and disabled, or as part of Cosplay. No other motorized transports are permitted.
3.6 - Non-Motorized Transport: Wheel chairs are permitted to assist the handicap and disabled, or as part of Cosplay. Please do not ride scooters, roller skates, roller blades, inline skates, heelys, skate shoes, skateboards, unicycles, tricycles, or bicycles inside the convention center. If you have to keep your wheels with you, please carry them. Bicycles should be secured outside of the Grove Hotel and CenturyLink Arena.
3.7 - Makeup Awareness: While it is always cool to become your favorite character, please remember that temporary hair dyes and makeup can rub off on to walls, fabrics, and equipment, so please be careful that the event center and equipment do not become stained or damaged. You will be held responsible for the replacement or repair of damaged surfaces, materials and equipment.
3.8 - Dye & Dying: If you are staying at the Grove Hotel, or another local hotel, please do not dye your hair, wigs, or clothing in the sinks or bathtubs. Dyes, even temporary dyes, can permanently stain sinks, bathtubs, towels, bedding, furniture, & walls. You will be responsible for the replacement, or repair of damaged surfaces and materials.
3.9 - Lost & Found: Fandemonium, the Grove Hotel, and CenturyLink Arena are not responsible for missing belongings, but if you should lose something, check with the Lost & Found at the Help Desk. Likewise if you find a lost item please turn it in to the Lost Found at the Help Desk.
3.10 - Trash, Refuse, Litter: If you see any trash, please pick it up and dispose of it in a waste container. Help us keep the convention center and hotel areas clean so that they will be available for future years to come. Try to leave an area you have used in better condition than you found it.
3.11 - Equipment Failures: If there is an equipment failure of any sort at Fandemonium do NOT try to fix it yourself. Doing so may result in your removal from the event for tampering with Fandemonium equipment or you may be charged for damages. Instead report the problem immediately by contacting a member of Fandemonium Staff so that we may fix the issue promptly to ensure the continued enjoyment of that aspect of the event by all. Thank you.
3.12 – Awareness: Help us keep Fandemonium safe! If you witness any violations of any of our policies and terms of service, please notify a Fandemonium owner, organizer, or volunteer as soon as possible. You can identify these individuals by their staff shirts and staff badges. Thank you for your help.
3.13 – Elevators: The elevators are for the use of ALL of The Grove Hotel’s Guests, Patrons & Residence. They are not to be used for any purpose other than traveling to your hotel room(s),The Terrace on Floor 4, The Main Lobby on Floor 1, & Fandemonium’s Event Floors 2 & 3. Any abuse of the elevator s for the purpose of playing games, riding them up and down repeatedly, pressing all the buttons, holding the doors open and/or any other abusive behavior will result in a warning and if the incident is repeated it will result in removal from the convention without refund.
3.14 - Conditions of attending an event at the Grove Hotel and CenturyLink Arena:
• No real weapons are allowed on the property. All firearms, functional projectile weapons, all live steel weapons, all forms of ammunition, and any dangerous items or ones that would place another in immediate harm are strictly forbidden. You may not carry or brandish any of these at any time in or around the property. This also includes individuals who possess a weapons permit and/or a concealed carry permit.
• In addition, all weapons purchased and/or sold in the Vendors Hall (Grand Bazaar) must be immediately removed from the event space and placed inside of your Hotel Room, Attendee Item Storage Room, Car, or somewhere off property outside of the venue. You will be escorted by a member of Fandemonium security personnel either to your hotel room, or outside of the venue, directly after your purchase has been made. Purchased weapons are subject to the above terms once initial removal from the event space has occurred.
• Music and loud conversations are not allowed after 9:00 PM
• Walking, sitting, or posing on the ledge is strictly prohibited.
• No Glass Allowed.
• Be courteous of guest suites on the Terrace.
4.0 - [Fun]
4.1 - Have Fun!: This is not a rule, but a sincere hope. Fandemonium comes around just once each year, so make the most of it: try to have a positive attitude, meet new people, and try new things. Do it now, or forever wish you had.
Copyright Fandemonium (c) 2003 - To Present. All Rights Reserved.