Contest: Fan Music Video (AMV & Fanvid)
Contest Entry Form: PDF (Make sure you completely read the contest rules before downloading)
Location: Main Events
Awards Ceremony: Closing Ceremonies in Main Events on Sunday at 3:00PM (MDT)
Fandemonium's Music Video Contest combines elements of both traditional Anime Music Video contests along with Fanvid (Live Action) Music Video contests to provide you with the best of both worlds. You can submit music videos that you've created that are Animated, Live Action or a Fusion of Both. Whether your goal is to use imagery to tell the story of a song, or use the song to define what a series and/or films mean to you, or just to create a fun exciting adventure; at Fandemonium your creativity knows no limits.
Please note: The FMV contest structure & rules have changed. Their are updates to the rules below. We can also accept proxy individuals to accept awards if you are unable to attended the awards ceremony. Plus we have a new policy on submissions; we can now support online submissions and we have a new contest submission form that is required for participation. Deadline for entries is July 20th of the current convention year.
ATTENTION! - We no longer accept submissions as standard playable VCD's. SVCD's & DVD's due to incompatibility and unreliability issues of a given disc burn to work on machines other than the one it was burned on. We still accept computer playable files sent to us burnt onto DVD -R/+R/RW & CD-R/RW media.
[Music Video Contest - Submissions]
All entries must be postmarked or received no later than March 28th of the current year to qualify for this years Music Video Contest, you may submit by either Postal Mail or Online by providing a link to a file sharing site where your video(s) are available for download, we do NOT accept contest submission at the door. Make sure to download, fill out and mail in a copy of the FMV contest submission form! ... Please also make sure to read the contest rules in their entirety before submitting, we would hate to see your video disqualified.
[Music Video Contest - Rules]
1. All Music Video contestants must be registered Fandemonium attendees.
2. Your Music Video must be at least somewhat related to one or more of the genres Fandemonium covers, such as Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Role Playing Games, Video Games, Anime, Animation, Asian Cinema, Indie, Horror, Comics, Manga, Renaissance, LARP, Fandom itself, etc. We cover a lot of topics, so if you're not sure if your Music Video qualifies then just e-mail us and ask. We are always happy to answer questions.
3. You may submit Music Videos that contain video source footage that is Live Action, Animated, Still Image Photo Slide Show or a mix thereof.
4. You are not restricted from entering Music Videos that you have entered at other conventions as long as they did not win an award. However you are not permitted to reenter Music Videos that you have entered at a previous Fandemonium that you didn't win awards on unless significant improvements have been made to them.
5. Only submit Music Videos that you had a hand in making. In other words don't even think about trying to win awards & prizes off someone else's hard work.
6. Your Music Video must be under 7min in length not counting opening and ending credits. Which should contain your name and if applicable your studio/group name, and the names of the video and audio sources used for your Music Video. Optional information such as your or your groups Website or E-mail address may also be included in the credits.
7. There is a limit of 3 Music Videos entries per person.
8. We only except Music Video submissions on the following physical media formats CD-R/RW, DVD -R/+R/RW, and USB Memory Stick/Thumb/Jump/Flash Drives; and via Online submission by your providing us with a link to a online/cloud media storage site where the video can be downloaded. All video files must be submitted in one of the following Video File Formats:
* AVI (Audio Video Interleave)
* FLV (Flash Video Format)
* MKV (Matroska Multimedia Container)
* MOV (Apple QuickTime Movie)
* MP4 (Moving Pictures Expert Group 4)
* MPEG / MPG (Moving Pictures Expert Group)
* OGG (Ogging Open Container Format)
* WMV (Windows Media Video)
9. All submitted media (CD-R/RW & DVD -R/+R/RW Discs & USB Memory Sticks/Thumb/Jump/Flash Drives) becomes the property of Fandemonium and will not be returned, please do not submit your only copy of your Music Video.
10. While you retain ownership and all rights and privileges regarding your creative work(s), by submitting them to the Music Video Contest you grant us a non-exclusive license to show them in whole or in part, and to use them for the promotion of Fandemonium, Music Videos, and Fandom in General.
11. While you can still enter them in the contest, Music Videos with excessive violence, gore, foul language, nudity or sexual situations may not be shown during the contest. However they may be shown in an age restricted showing during the convention, time permitting. Music Videos not shown during the contest will be eligible for all applicable prizes except Fan-Favorite.
12. Fandemonium Music Video Contest Submissions;
a. If submitting physical media by Postal Mail: You must label your CD-R/RW, DVD -R/+R/RW, USB Memory Stick/Thumb/Jump/Flash Drive, please write your full name, the name of the submission and an e-mail address or phone number on the label.
b. If submitting digital media by via an Online file sharing site: you must provide us a working link to that site and be fully aware that it is your responsibility to make sure that their is adequate transfer bandwidth available on your account for us to download your video(s).
Regardless of your method of submission you must also send us a completed copy of the FMV contest submission form. Send it to:
ATTN: Fan Music Video Contest
308 Cindy Ave.
Middleton, ID 83644
Your submission(s) must be postmarked no later than March 28th of the current convention year. We unfortunately can not accept submissions at the convention under any circumstances, as doing so does not give us sufficient time to guarantee the compatibility & playability of your Music Video on our equipment, nor the time to verify that its in compliance with these contest rules.
13. Test your Music Video(s) before entering them into the contest. Look at them with a cynical eye on other setups. If your final copy is full of fadeouts, artifacting, jumpiness, excessive sound pops, sound wobbles, then please consider reworking it before submitting it.
14. All awards for winners of the FMV contest will be presented at Fandemonium's Closing Ceremonies on Sunday at 3:00PM (MDT). If you are unable to attended the awards ceremony you may appoint a proxy individual to accept any awards you may win. (See FMV contest submission form for details.)
15. These rules are subject to change. However, we will try to give you ample notification if they do.
[Music Video Contest - FAQ]
Q: So what is a Fanvid?
A: Fanvid's are fan made music videos created by combining Cut and Spliced footage from your favorite, Live Action or Animated - Movies, TV Series, OAV's, or Video Games and setting them to your favorite Music.
Q: How can I make a Fanvid?
A: This can be done with PC, or Macintosh, or Linux based video editing software such as Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premier, Sony Vegas, Quicktime, etc. or it can be done the old school way by using a combination of VCR's, DVD Players/Recorders, CD Players and/or Video Game Systems connected together.
Q: What is the goal of creating a Fanvid?
A: The goal is to create an entertaining combination of Video and Music. Whether you use the footage to tell the story of the song, or the song to define what the footage means to you, or just to create a pleasing combination of Video & Sound is up to you.
Contest: Fan Music Video (AMV & Fanvid)